Communication in a relationship is vital, this leads to a healthy marriage and a clear understanding between a man and a woman.
Women are built differently and have different emotions and reactions to situations. There has never been a more difficult time for a woman other than when she reaches “the change of life”. Her partner or husband deserves the right to understand what she is going through.
Talking to your husband about how you feel is imperative, he cannot ever understand how you feel or what is happening to you. Lasting relationships last when couple communicates their feelings and desires.
There are a few simple steps to take to make this happen. It is hopeless to describe your feelings or anxiety when you are upset or very tired, timing is the essence. Most men will listen and appreciate you more because you took the time to talk to him about perimenopause or menopause, and you respected his feelings enough to explain it to him.
Here are a few useful tips to help you with your communication techniques:
- Never start a conversation about such a delicate issue when your husband has just arrived home from work.
- Chose a time when you can both sit down and have a soft drink, coffee or tea, or even a glass of wine.
- If you are unable to go out from your home, or you have children around, then chose an appropriate time, and not too late at night.
- Ideally go somewhere quiet and relaxing, not at home, and a place where you can both feel comfortable and not likely to bump into your friends
- Tell him that you want him to understand that you have a few things going on and its related to hormonal changes, and you feel he should know about it. Remind him that you care for him, however, sometimes you may get a bit fractious or depressed.
- Don´t talk to him about ALL the symptoms, just mention one or two, he will not be able to assimilate it all at once.
- Mention to him that you will have a way to tell him, a code, a sign or something that means “I am feeling a bit off today” so he doesn’t take your actions personally. Rather than going to into a deep conversation about it.
- Show your loved one a video that talks about menopause, ideally something simple and light-hearted: Men´s Guide to Menopause
- By talking regularly about your symptoms and how you feel will enable him to support you on a better level.
- Studies show that women who talk on a regular basis to their husbands or partners pass through the hormonal journey much easier.